Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wool Roving--oh my!

I recently purchased some amazing silk and silk/wool blend fibers from an Etsy Shop called WoolieBullie.
Look at these colors!!!
This is a silk blend called Smokin Cymbidium Phat Fiber



This is mulberry silk for spinning called Tatiana and The Changeling

I was immediately compelled to start working with them the minute I pulled them from the package. While silk is challenging to needle felt, it can be done. The fibers are smooth, so they tend to pull a bit on the way down and get buried between fatter fibers. That did not stop me! I did a bit of research on felting silk fiber. It is not recommended for wet or machine felting.
The silk blend was so easy to work with. The colors were deeply saturated from surface to core. This colorway is varied and quite lovely. I'll have a new creation finished soon to show you more.

Here are a few Strawberry Emery Pincushions I just finished. The core is emery, wrapped in woven wool. I then began covering the surface with layers of wool and silk blend wool roving in many bright colors. I needle felted the layers down smoothly and snugly. Then I added embroidery stitches to highlight some of the color passages. I had so much fun, it was hard to stop!


Find this and more of my newest strawberrys in my shop Fiberluscious on Etsy.





No comments: